Monday, November 2, 2015

On White Privilege

The topic of white privilege has been discussed in various forums, whether in newspapers, where I read a column in the New York Daily News about a politician from the state of Rhode Island who claims that it doesn't exist, or in online media, which has very expansive on the subject.  For those who may not know what the hell I'm talking about, white privilege is the belief that white people have benefited greatly not just by the virtue of their skin color, but by virtue of having a system in place that oppresses people of color.

I have read up on white privilege and cannot deny that it exists.  In my current job, I deal with many privileged (I also use the term spoiled) white people, who travel from various upper class suburbs.  Obviously, they think they are better than everyone else, and some don't even try to hide that, at least not from me.

Many white people believe that they earned their privilege from hard work and dedication.  But how can deny that part of their privilege may come from keeping the so-called "other" down?  I, for one, have two college degrees (and am trying for a third as we speak).  But I can't find a decent job that fits my education, experience, and skills.  A family member even asked me if that might be attributed to discrimination.  While I do not have a real answer to that question, it has crossed my mind as of late.

I also find that it would be very difficult to talk to white people about their privilege.  Like the politician from Rhode Island, many don't think that it exists (Some also feel that way about racism).  Some end up getting very defensive about it, and try to turn the tables on anyone who brings it up.

A honest conversation on race relations is exactly what this country needs right now, especially given recent events that have made the news.  Let's not wait until there's a so-called "race war" to hash out our differences.  The time for this conversation is now.

No comments:

Post a Comment