Monday, June 13, 2016

On The Orlando Nightclub Terror Attack

There are really no words for what is now the worst mass shooting in United States history.  I am still trying to understand why the gunman, who supposedly had mental issues (go figure), but pledged allegiance to ISIS, did what he did.  I heard also that he was enraged by the sight of two men kissing.

Which brings me to my next thought.  Why target a gay nightclub?  Though I believe I answered my own question before, why gay people?  What could they have possibly done to this man that he felt the need to shoot dead 49 people?  If it is indeed true that he was not just motivated by other terror attacks, but also hatred of gays, he will be answering for that in the afterlife, as he was shot dead by SWAT teams.

The shooter was known to the FBI, and should not have been able to get a gun.  He purchased his guns legally, he had licenses.

But I'm not going to focus on the thorny issue of gun control.  I'm confident that there are those in the media doing so already.  I will focus, though, on hate.  It has no place in our society, whether it's against gays, Muslims (who are feeling the heat yet again from this attack), or any other group of people.  An attack on one group is an attack on everyone.

We need to rise above hate, period.  As one Facebook friend asked after learning of the shooting, "Where is the LOVE?"  Hate led to this heinous act, and hate is very likely driving the reaction to the shooting.  We all need to come together for the victims of this tragedy.  And we must do everything in our power to make sure that something like this never happens again.

No comments:

Post a Comment