Friday, July 8, 2016

On The Shooting Deaths of Alton Sterling, Philando Castile, and the Texas Ambush of Police Officers

It has happened yet again.  Two black men shot to death by police officers, one in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, the other in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

The deaths of Alton Sterling and Philando Castile have once again brought to the forefront the treatment of people of color by the police.  Sterling was killed outside a store where he was selling CDs, and the owner said that Sterling was not motioning for any weapon, though cops found a gun on him.  Castile was a licensed gun owner who was shot after being pulled over for a broken taillight.

The shootings are upsetting, as they all are.  And I am angry as well.  It makes me wonder about my own safety.  When I was living in New York City, I was stopped twice by police, for differing reasons.  I believe that I was a victim of racial profiling.  If I didn't remain calm or acted in a belligerent manner, who knows what would have happened to me.

Not to say all police officers are horrible racists.  There are good cops; unfortunately, all the good work they do is overshadowed by these shootings of unarmed "minorities."
We need to see the good officers speak out more.

However, the latest shootings of people of color is absolutely NO EXCUSE to go after other officers, which brings me to the deadly ambush that happened during a peaceful demonstration of the shootings in Dallas last night.  Five officers were killed and seven others wounded when snipers opened fire.

Let me just say that I get it.  I really do.  I hate the fact that people of color, some of them unarmed, are being killed by police.  But what does taking the lives of five officers solve?  NOTHING!  It only adds to the bloodshed, it only means more families are grieving losses.

I agree with the Mayor of Dallas when he says we need to come together.  We, as citizens and police officers, need to work with each other, and not against each other, to solve the problems plaguing our communities.  Otherwise, the bodies will keep piling up.

Comment....as you see fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment